HistoryThe Rural Municipality of Cartier is named after Sir George Etienne Cartier. Sir George was born in 1814. He played a leading role in the union of the British North America provinces prior to 1867. Because of his efforts, Quebec was persuaded to join the Canadian federation. Sir George Cartier was born in St. Antoine, Lower Canada. As a young man he took part in the Papineau Rebellion, fled to the U.S.A., was later pardoned and consequently was elected to the Lower Canadian Legislature in 1848, where he became the leader to the (Conservatives) French Canadian "Bleus". From 1858-1862, Cartier served as joint Prime Minister of Canada with John A Macdonald.
After Confederation in 1867, Cartier served as Minister of Militia in the first federal government of the Dominion from 1867 to 1872. He was knighted for his efforts toward confederation. He died in 1873.
The Beginning of the Cartier Municipality
The Cartier municipality was once a part of the R.M. of St. Francois Xavier. In August of 1913, a motion was passed by the Council of St. Francois Xavier to divide the municipality along the lines of the Assiniboine River and create two separate municipalities. Cartier was incorporated as a Rural Municipality on February 21, 1914.
In 1914, the Municipality established six wards, an office in Elie and Mr. F. R. LaFleche as Reeve. In the 100 years since its inception, there has only been 13 different Reeves. At present the Municipality has five wards, still
maintains an office in Elie and Dale Fossay is the 13th and current Reeve.