Dacotah

DacotahDacotah’s Beginning

Like many of the communities in the R.M. of Cartier, Dacotah was settled by hard-working pioneers determined to carve out a life for themselves from the wide-open prairie. And like many of those communities, the first pioneers settled in Dacotah many years before the R.M. of Cartier was incorporated. The Winslow Family settled in the yet-to-be-named area in 1899, and donated land to the railroad for the rail siding which was built in 1904. Because the Winslow’s had donated the land, C.N. bestowed the honor of its naming to Mrs. Winslow. She named it after the Dacotah Tribe of Native Americans from her home state of North Dakota. Over the twelve years that the Winslow Family was in Dacotah, Mr. Winslow was instrumental in developing drainage, roads, a school district, bringing in telephones, and a grocery store.

The Qually Family and Broten Family also emigrated from the United States to Dacotah in 1899. These pioneers of Norwegian descent founded a large Company Farm, helped to found the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, and start a Baseball Club. In the 114 years since their arrival, many descendants of the Qually and Broten Families have remained in the area and contributed to the vibrancy of their community.

This small railway siding community named Dacotah once had its own school, hardware store, grocery store, post office and grain elevator. Today this small settlement just south of the TransCanada Highway, midway between Elie and St. Francois Xavier, is a residential hamlet surrounded by fertile farmland and beautiful prairie skies.

Fun fact: The Dacotah hardware store has been partially restored as a museum and is designated a historical building.

Right Side: Qually Brothers Store - Historic Site